There is still a long way to go before Apple officially releases the SDK which will help build third party application for your iPhone or iPod Touch. Of course, you can jailbreak right away and install some third party apps. But isn’t jailbreaking supposed to dreadfully touch? No, not anymore because a team of hackers have come-up with an extremely simple, one-touch way to jailbreak. All you have to do is, point your Safari Web browser to jailbreakme.com (don’t go to the site, unless you know what you are doing).
The site will jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch for full disk access and installs installer.app, which will then enable you to install third party apps. Like said earlier, point your iPhone/iPod Touch’s Safari Browser towards jailbreakme.com, read the instructions, scroll to the bottom and tap to install AppSnapp. Safari should immediately crash and send you back to the home screen. Once there, wait until your unit restarts and don’t touch anything until you see the slide to unlock screen. You’ll now notice a new installer.app icon in your home screen.
Here’s a list of things AppSnapp will do on your unit:
- Jailbreaks iPhone/iPod Touch on 1.1.1
- Patches Springboard to load third party apps
- Activates non-AT&T iPhones automatically, while leaving already activated phones alone
- Fixes YouTube on non-AT&T iPhones automatically, while leaving already activated phones alone
- Installs Installer.app v3.0b5 on the iPhone/iPod Touch
- Fixes Apple’s TIFF bug, making your device MORE secure than it was without AppSnapp!
They advise that you use jailbreakme.com over WiFi rather than EDGE because success rate is much higher using WiFi. Sounds unbelievably simple, I wonder if Apple is cooking something nasty to stop them.