As fancy as the term “blog” sounds, it’s actually just a website that uses a content management system. While most blog software is more search engine friendly out of the box than many web sites, the opportunities for blog optimization are readily available.
Here are 10 tricks that will increase your visibility in search engines and eventually drive more traffic to your blog.
1) Use keywords in your blog post titles – This is a given for SEO. Most blogging software uses the post title as the url so take advantage of it.
Example: “10 SEO Tricks to Attract More Traffic to your Blog – Search Engine Journal”
Search Engine Journal is included on every blog post title tag automatically.
2) Optimize your blog categories – When you create categories for your blog, be sure to use keywords in the titles. When you post, be sure to default to a general category that is relevant no matter what the post is about. Choose multiple categories on each post when appropriate. This will create a “SEO-friendly” url for each post you make.
3) Syndicate your blog – Make it easy for people to subscribe to your blog. Sign-up with a free service like Feedburner and then create a “syndication” area on your site.
4) Offer RSS to email. Anywhere from 10% to 40% of your blog traffic can come from individuals that perfer to read blog posts via email. RSS readers and aggregators can be confusing. Adding email services to your blog isn’t. There are several free services available for this including: FeedBlitz, Squeet, and Zookoda.
5) Ping blog search engines – This can be configured with blog software such as Movable Type or WordPress to work automatically. If you’re using Blogger.com, then you can do this manually with Pingomatic.com or Pingoat.com.
6) Make comments on other blogs. Your name will be linked to the blog url that you enter. Don’t make comments that offer no value to the blog post. Don’t use keywords in the field for your name, use your name or blog name.
7) Submit your blog directories. Also submit the blog to regular directories such as (DMOZ, JoeAnt, GoGuides, Google Blog Search, etc) that have categories for blogs.
Targeted advertising – Now this doesn’t really drive traffic to your site but will make you money. It’s possible by using Google AdSense to display highly targeted ads on your blog. Once you’ve setup an account and placed the ads on your site, just sit back and watch the cash come in. Cha-ching.
9) Snatch up hot keywords – Now before you place ads on your blog, be sure your keyword density is good for the right terms. A great tool to improve your traffic for high-paying keywords is to use a product called Keyword Elite (http://www.seojuice.com).
10) Use track backs – If there is a blog that you refer to or quote and it is highly relevant to your subject, leave a track back. It increases your link popularity and may even score a few interested readers from the linked site. A TrackBack is a mechanism used in a blog to show, around an entry, a list of other blogs that refer to it.
The important thing to remember is that no matter how many optimization tactics you employ with a blog, there is no substitute for quality content. Blog optimization is only as effective as the quality and usefulness of the content you’re optimizing. So do not limit yourself to tips and lists. Use your imagination and you will come up with thousands of ways to drive traffic to your blog!